The two contenders for the mayoralty position in Muntinlupa went toe-to-toe last week in a debate on Umagang Kay Ganda.
Watch the video here and see who you think is most deserving in leading Muntinlupa into the promise land:
The reported dengue rate of 258 for the period of January to July, 337% higher than reported 59 in the same period last year has prompted the City Health Office of Muntinlupa to design an effective work plan to be completed in full action the soonest possible time. Mayor Aldrin San Pedro reiterated this double effort to be performed by a task force headed by Dra. Edilinda Patac of the City Health Office, and be delivered among the public schools and 9 barangays of the city.
“We are now in the first phase of actualizing all the activities drafted in our plan so as to lessen the fast-doubling rate of dengue cases to avoid an outbreak. Right now, we are keeping an eye on those hot spots where cases are fast surging”, Mayor San Pedro said.
The action plan implicates the provision of additional laboratory supplies, medicines, oral rehydrating solutions, laboratory tests (CBC and platelet) which will be given freely to indigent city citizens.
“Aside from free diagnostic that includes platelet counting, we are the first LGU to perform free confirmatory tests among our patients who will be deemed positive of the virus”, Dra. Patac stated.
Various communities will also be experiencing clean-up drives (Operation Linis) of prospect breeding sites of mosquito larvae as well as be enjoined to participate in each barangay’s contest of “zero kiti-kiti” campaign.
There will also be re-creation of new sets of barangay dengue task force, organization of entomological team composed primarily of doctors and sanitary inspectors in every community confirmed of dengue cases, and activation of dengue fast lanes in all health centers as part of the task plan.
Schools will be provided with free olyset(permethrin treated mosquito nets)from World Health Organization through City Health Department-Metro Manila, and are counseled to strictly hold dengue symposia, targeting PTA’s and produce advocacy-related materials in their schools for drive against dengue.
The plan has taken effect since even hot spots were not yet monitored. It started by larviciding, a preventive method to stop the development of larvae from adult mosquitoes, fogging and space spraying all confirmed and prospect dengue cases communities.
By JONATHAN M. HICAP (mb.com.ph)
June 19, 2011, 3:19pm
MANILA, Philippines — A new drainage network covering the nine barangays in Muntinlupa City is being proposed as the solution to the perennial flooding in the city.
The proposal was aired by the City Engineering Department during a recent public hearing called by the City Council’s Committee on Engineering, Public Works and Infrastructure to tackle the flooding in Muntinlupa, particularly in the coastal areas.
When Typhoon Ondoy swept Metro Manila in September 2009, it left many communities in Muntinlupa submerged for weeks.
The engineering department suggested the construction of a new drainage system on a six-meter road right of way beside the railroad track of the Philippine National Railways (PNR) from Tunasan to Sucat.
The system will be built parallel to the track and will also serve as an alternate route for tricycles and motorcycles and a barrier against the proliferation of squatters.
City officials noted that the PNR property is the only open space in Muntinlupa where a new drainage system can be built.
The PNR is willing to give right of way permit for the project, officials said.
Funding for the project is the remaining problem.
The Muntinlupa government may request the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to fund the construction of the drainage system.
MUNTINLUPA CITY, May 20 (PIA) – This may be good news to housewives and girlfriends of lothario husbands and boyfriends; it may also be good news to moralists and do gooders.
The city government of Muntinlupa recently issued Executive Order No. 8 banning issuance of business permits to construct new motels and inns in the city.
Muntinlupa City Mayor Aldrin L. San Pedro signed the order that aims to protect the morality and welfare of the public, especially the women and children of the city.
San Pedro said the issuance of said order will help prevent, and eventually stop, prostitution that victimizes young women and even children.
Meanwhile, Gabriela Women’s Party lauded the move saying the issuance of said order protects the dignity of women. The women’s group was also thankful for the mayor’s idealistic leadership.
The executive order was based on City Ordinance No. 88-01 which prohibits obscene shows in movie houses, entertainment centers, and food centers or in any private places.
The ordinance also banned selling of porn magazines and posting of sexy billboard ads within the city. (Muntinlupa-PIO/RJB/JEG-PIA NCR)
Former Muntinlupa mayor Jaime Fresnedi has withdrawn the election protest he filed against incumbent Mayor Aldrin San Pedro in connection with the May 11, 2010 elections.
In a manifestation filed with the First Division of the Commission on Elections (Comelec), Fresnedi, through his counsel Atty. George Erwin Garcia, said he is withdrawing the election protest due to “financial constraints”.
“The undersigned (Garcia) has been instructed by the protestant (Fresnedi) to withdraw the instant election protest case due to financial constraints,” according to the manifestation signed by Garcia and Fresnedi.
In addition, Fresnedi asked the Comelec First Division to release his cash deposit totaling P1.08 million (P1,081,000) which he paid the Comelec in June and October last year to cover the recount.
San Pedro defeated Fresnedi in the May 2010 elections to win his second term. San Pedro garnered 108,091 votes against Fresnedi’s 76,808 votes.
Before filing to withdraw his election protest, Fresnedi asked the Comelec to defer the revision of ballots in his case which was supposed to start last May 9.
The revision of ballots was supposed to cover 66 election precincts in Muntinlupa or 20 percent of the protest proper.
In an order dated May 5, Presiding Commissioner Rene Sarmiento of the Comelec First Division junked Fresnedi’s request, ruling that “we do not find his reason for the deferment of the recount proceedings reasonable.”
Mayor San Pedro likewise opposed the deferment of the revision of ballots.
In his comment and opposition filed with the Comelec, Mayor San Pedro said the request to defer the recount “is nothing short of dilatory with no other purpose except to cause delay to the final resolution of the protest”.